As if spiders weren’t creepy enough… now we have discovered zombie spiders. It seems that each new month can’t pass without another discovery of a mind-bending parasite, taking over the brain of its victim. This time, it’s a newly discovered species of Zatypota wasp, found deep in the Ecuadorian jungle. The wasp lays its eggs…
With summer in full swing, many of you are probably growing weary of the high-pitch wine of the mosquitoes and their pesky, itching bites. But next time one of them nips you, have a little respect for their wily ways. A scientific publication has managed to catch mosquitoes in the act – recording their amazing…
Louis Wain was a prominent artist in England during the early 20th century. His work was featured in many of the top-selling publications. You might even be vaguely familiar with some of his work, which is famous for cats and kittens in a cutesy, large-eyed and anthropomorphised fashion. The pictures started when his wife was…
It was around a century ago that etymologists first noticed something peculiar hanging from the catkins of a dwarf chestnut tree in Norfolk, Virginia. They discovered hundreds of dead goldenrod soldier beetles (Chauliognathus pensylvanicus) dangling in groups of 6 or 7, their mandibles clamped firmly to the tree in a “grim death-grip.” Even more bizarrely,…
- The BBC’s ‘Why Factor’ does Zombies.
- Birds do it. Bees do it. And dogs, too, can sense the magnetic field.
- Have you ever wondered what the world will look like 20 years after the apocalypse?
- As if spiders weren’t creepy enough… now we have discovered zombie spiders.
- Fantasmagoriana: the German book of ghost stories that inspired Frankenstein